The next step in the movement for high-quality, affordable child care for all Vermont families starts now! With our champions and partners, Let's Grow Kids is working to create a child care system that is: ACCESSIBLE, AFFORDABLE, HIGH-QUALITY, AND ACCOUNTABLE.
Let’s Grow Kids is launching a three-year legislative campaign that starts with two of the most pressing needs of the child care system: family affordability and an early childhood education workforce that is skilled and respected. Click here to read the full 2021 Let's Grow Kids Legislative Agenda.
Add your name to our 3-year policy agenda
In 2021: Our campaign will advance legislation that establishes State of Vermont goals for affordability, access, and quality. It will also lay the foundation of our future child care system by:
• Restructuring the Child Care Financial Assistance Program to cap family co-payments at affordable rates and expand eligibility to more families, as well as setting a goal that no family spend more than 10% of their income for child care;
• Formally convening experts and stakeholders to develop plans for raising new revenue as well as system coordination and accountability;
• Fully funding an updated IT system critical to effective and efficient administration; and
• Increasing strategic investments in early childhood education workforce development and setting a goal that early childhood educators are compensated on par with their colleagues in similar professions.
In 2022: Our campaign will support the stakeholder processes, complete legislative work, and organize in communities in the 2022 election to support legislators who have championed child care legislation.
In 2023: Our campaign focus will be passing a revenue bill and fully implementing affordability, access, quality, and accountability measures.
APPROACH TO PUBLIC POLICY CHANGE
Ensuring affordable access to equitable, high-quality child care requires significant public policy change and substantial public investment. That’s why LGK is working with supporters across the state to effect change in the virtual state house, and at all levels of government.
• We work with early childhood champions within the state’s Legislature and Administration to generate political will among elected officials to create policy change that prioritizes Vermont’s children, families, and early educators.
• We collaborate with partners from the early childhood, business, education, and health care communities to inform our work and strengthen the movement.
• We support Vermonters from all walks of life to help them connect with their elected representatives, so they can tell their story about why investment in child care is a priority for Vermont.
WHAT WE'VE ACCOMPLISHED
We have more to do to achieve the system Vermont needs, but we’ve made great strides in our work to ensure affordable access to high-quality child care for all Vermonters. Take a look below to see some important recent accomplishments, and check back for our 2021 legislative priorities.
• An overview of the initiatives that became law in 2019, thanks to the efforts of our supporters and legislative champions
WANT TO GET INVOLVED?
To achieve our mission and bring about the policy change Vermont’s child care system deserves, we need your help! Visit our Mobilize page to find out what actions you can take—big or small—to help us achieve our mission. Or reach out to our Policy Manager, Drake Turner, for more information.