Blog: Make a Difference by Volunteering as a Child Care Champion
Child care is essential to Vermont. Without a comprehensive child care system, parents can’t return to work; young children aren’t getting quality early childhood education, and early childhood educators cannot make ends meet. But there is a child care solution.
That’s where you come in. Make a difference in your community by joining the Child Care Campaign's Grassroots Leadership Circle. As a member, you’ll be a leader and spokesperson in Vermont's child care movement, advocating for public investment in our child care system.
Apply now to represent the Child Care Campaign in your county so we can ensure kids and their families are getting the quality child care they need and deserve.
Am I a good fit for the Grassroots Leadership Circle?
Here’s what we’re looking for: As a child care champion, you believe in the Child Care Campaign’s mission of affordable, quality child care for all Vermont families, and you’re willing to leverage personal networks to promote that mission. You're interested in and available for training and will be a ready change-agent for the child care movement.
Ideal candidates are:
- Passionate about affordable child care;
- Can dedicate five hours each month to grassroots organizing, which is a combination of scheduled outreach events and rapid response actions;
- Will promote the Child Care Campaign’s mission to friends, family, employers, social organizations, business contacts, and/or other personal networks
- Willing to be a spokesperson when invited;
- Available for one full day, in-person training and periodic Zoom meetings (scheduled around your availability);
- And able to respond within 48 hours to periodic, rapid response requests of the legislative session.
Why participate in the Grassroots Leadership Circle?
Selected applicants will represent their county in the 14-person, Grassroots Leadership Circle. They’ll join a state-wide network of current and rising leaders, benefit from trainings to be effective changemakers, connect with others who share their passion, and influence lawmakers to better support Vermont families.
Participants will also receive a $250 stipend for volunteering, plus travel compensation to be an advocate from February 15 to June 30, 2023. They’ll also be invited to participate in the Child Care Campaign’s rally in Montpelier on April 12.
How do I apply?
Submit your application by February 3!
Questions? Email Wendy Rice at firstname.lastname@example.org.